Take Me To The 13th Floor

Photobucket

The Thirteenth Floor is great, because I can drool twice:
For Whitney AND for Ashton. Although I would prefer Ash.

Perhaps because he knows how to make a perfect drink.

Photobucket

Or maybe because he asked so seductively "What can i do for you?" and "If you like, I can arrange something for you... You see anything you want?"
And no, I would NOT ask him for the bathroom, like Douglas Hall did. Unless Ash would follow me into the powder room for... well, what ever tickles his fancy.

Photobucket

VINCENT said about Ash: “Ashton is a bartender at a swanky club in Los Angeles in the 1930s. And he is not to be trusted."



...and “All I know is that when I was reading the script and when we were shooting the movie I had to pay serious attention because the story is structured in such a way that it does jump back and forth, that there are different characters and different circumstances. I had to make sure I wasn’t giving anything away too soon or too late.”

(... ahem, I really appreciate his last sentence!)

D’Onofrio compliments his co-stars, reports that Emmerich (Producer) was rarely around during his days on set, and notes that director Josef Rusnak, a German filmmaker making his first big American film, helped him shape his performances.
As for special effects, D’Onofrio jokes that he was “deep, very deep” into them. “There are tricks in the film that required that kind of stuff. So, I guess the best way to put it is there was a bit of it here and there."
click to enlarge. (thanks Finn for the article)



Photobucket
Director Josef Rusnak about 13F:
"Present-day society suffers from many ills. Recent events have brought television, movies, and music under fire, giving sole responsibility for waves of violence among children of younger and younger ages. But what if it were all a dream, an unreal simulacrum created as a lab experiment with little care or responsibility?"

Photobucket

The story begun with the publication of the novel Simulacron-3 (1963) written by Daniel Galouye. In the 70's, Simulacron-3 was made into a provocative German TV mini-series "Welt am Draht", by Rainer Werner Fassbinder.

Photobucket

The picture above shows the director Fassbinder and the "original" Whitney. He's the one who wears a helmet, so we can't see Whit's face (but we don't miss a lot).





Rusnak: “This novel that Daniel Galouye wrote in 1963 or 64 was extremely political, a reflection of its time. It dealt with a country which is run by corporations, about rich people who try to gain power in order to become richer and richer. It was the typical Sixties set-up of a post-war America coming to doubt those things in society it has held important. So you had this kind of scepticism about what science can do for Mankind. Since the story is not an easy one to understand, we tried to hit the audience on a subconscious level, on a more intelligent level. This is an R-rated movie not because of violence or language, but because we deal with adult issues. ”


The two realities of Rusnak’s own existence – Germany and America - currently co-exist without any problems. Although he is definitely on his way in the larger-than-life American film industry, the door is still open for him to experience from time to time a different pace.
“Because I did some recognizable works in Germany I can go back tomorrow and do things there, too. I’m a lucky guy.” But unlike his characters in The Thirteenth Floor, Rusnak has no trouble realizing it.

Photobucket

14 comments:

  1. Wow, you really did you research! Very informative and I love looking at the pictures. Between the two men I would pick Whitney for his sweet soul and gentle mannerisms. Physically, Ashton is hot, but I so wanted him to be a good guy. Oh, well another hope dashed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Ashton!!!!!! He is the definition of HOT!!! And on the contrary of you Artist, I love the bad boy side of him.. Yes i'm a little weird i love Psychoman!!!!!!


    And Jazzy, you're welcome it was a pleasure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Is there anything you want'?....YES!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh yes, Ashton is as hot as possible! this is why i'm always in trouble, i just love bad guys.

    beside, is there a "high mile club" for 13th floor elevators?
    just asking for the case i meet Ash one fine day...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll take both.......the old "Doppleganger" thing turns me on. Me and 2 VDOs.....oh God, call an ambulance!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I can't help myself I love men who have a gentle soul, a complex inner being and who are brillant and who long for that special someone to understand them. Did I just describe Bobby?

    The bad boys I just want to boff and leave wanting more. They're not keepers, they're love'em & leave'em types.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ashton has better hair, Whitney is sweet. Heck, how do I choose?

    I won't! Gimme both.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, look! At the end he says he does too much, and his wife says she never sees him. He needs a break.

    Bless.

    Didn't understand most of the rest of the German though :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:57 PM

    I'd just like Vincent to take me on the floor - please ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK, you guys are officially killing me! Ash and Whit have been on my mind for most of the week. It must be a conspiracy between blogs!

    I have to admit I take Fuzzytweetie's side in her post " I'll take both.......the old "Doppleganger" thing turns me on.". Not only that but after reading some recent fanfic on another site my brain has undergone some serious re-wiring for a mild-mannered woman of my age.

    Earlier this week I clicked on Eliza's page and then clicked on her 13th Floor Wonderland link. OMG I was not prepared for the fanfic on that site! I was so sucked into that fanfic that I had to read all the stories in two days - and there's a lot of them.

    So if you want to read some 13th Floor fanfic with as Fuzzytweety puts it "2 VDOs.....oh God, call an ambulance!" follow the links. Just have an open mind and be prepared because the two VDOs are not together in a way you would expect - and most of the time - there's not a woman in sight. CAUTION: Make sure you have some smelling salts on hand - this writer can literally make you pass out! Sadly. I don't think Vincent would consent to The 13th Floor - Part II following this script!

    ReplyDelete
  11. there is the full interview in English
    http://www.freewebs.com/lonelywalker/verflixte13.htm

    Now look, how good the Vixens speak German when it comes to Doppelgänger Sex. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful post jazzy :-D

    I love the film, not so keen on the book and as for Finns fanfics...I have them all printed out, just in case I feel the need to indulge ::blush::

    I really have to get a German copy of the dvd though, the colours are much richer and the caps look better (see, I can't get my mind off capping ever :p)

    ReplyDelete
  13. eliza,
    guessing Ash/Whit are going to make a journey to the UK
    (at least a copy of them)

    ReplyDelete
  14. My preference is definitely for Ashton (like Jazzy, I have a definite weakness for BAAAAAD boys), but Whitney is so sweet, I would like to cuddle with him all night long ... after I spent at least 12 hours with Ashton, of course...

    ReplyDelete